Festivals have always been the testing ground for fashion statements. However, if you get things wrong, you may never outlive the consequences. Accessories give you the chance to dial things up or down depending on the overall effect you want to have.
One thing is certain, though: being bold is key. It’s about making a statement, and like Billie Ellish said, ‘"I like to be in control of how I look, how I feel and how I act.”
This accessory guide for the festival season (no matter the year) is sure to get you to embrace the festival spirit and make a look that’ll make you shine. From messy hair to low-effort beauty, let the fun begin!
How do you make a festival outfit?
Instead of having to do a whole lot of shopping for clothes you are likely to only wear once, you can use accessories to make everyday apparel worthy of that music fest. Festival jewellery at big fests like Coachella will be remembered long after the clothing is discarded.
- Bring a hat - Hats are an absolute godsend in any music fest. They will add a touch of glam to your outfit, hide that disastrous hair that hasn’t seen a proper shower in three days, and will also add protection from the sun. Bucket hats are in vogue right now.
- Bold necklaces and chokers - Wear statement neckpieces with confidence, and don’t be afraid to layer up on chain necklaces to add a touch of bling. You can also go for bold colours in striking motifs or, if you’re feeling super sassy, a crystal choker may do it for you.
- Tiaras and headbands - Fests also allows you to bring out your inner princess with a statement tiara. More often at Coachella, you will see flowery headbands. That trend has gotten old, so bring along a stylish hair scarf instead.
- Ring bracelets - You can get your hands all shiny and sparkly with statement ring bracelets. If you want something more subtle and personal, ethnic bracelets add colour and personality to your whole outfit.
The best festival accessories are bold without being outlandish. Any girl can wear a booty short and crop top to a fest, but the right accessories will steal the show.
Where can I buy festival accessories in Australia?
Choosing festival fashion accessories is harder than it sounds. Unique festival accessories and jewellery here in Australia is rare unless you want to find 20 other people with the same accessories as you.
The solution is to go scouring local markets. These are the best places to find completely unique accessories at downright cheap prices. You get to experiment with different designs, try on this piece or that, and see which one resonates with your free spirit. Find pieces you’ll want to wear over and over again, even after the bass stops pumping -- sustainability reigns supreme.
But not everyone has the time or opportunity to explore the creative arts of local markets. When you have to get ready for a festival on the fly, the only solution is to buy festival accessories online. Even if you have not really decided what you wear to the fest, a quick visit to beautiful bohemian online accessories stores like Poco Loco will give you plenty of ideas to get started.
Festival lovers in Bondi Beach will be glad to know that Poco Loco also has the full range of accessories at local markets. There, you will get to try on different festival jewellery to see what you love.
The advantage of a beach and fashion jewellery shop is that they will know exactly what you want and give you the freedom to play around with ideas. You can also get more mainstream jewellery such as festival rings.
What should I wear to a Music Festival
Even when you have drop-dead gorgeous accessories, you will still need to get some decent festival wear to this year’s events. Veteran festgoers have this sage advice for you to make sure your experience is fun and memorable.
- Bring comfortable shoes. You will probably be standing and dancing all day and night, so rule number one is: leave the stilettos. Platform sandals, crocs, or flip flops will serve you better, but. For a blend of comfort and style, you can wear bulky boots for a grunge look, simple canvas trainers, or go all out with glitter shoes. If you go for plain footwear, spice it up with some shiny accessories such as chain anklets.
- Airy tops - All that crowd and frenzied dancing is bound to make you sweaty. Put on a light, airy top and avoid layers at all costs. If you’re feeling bold, a bra or bodysuit might be all you need to cover up decently.
- Carry something warm - Most festivals also go on all night, and it will get chilly. Make sure to have a warm jacket, hoodie, or similar warm clothing. Don’t bring that fancy fur coat though, because it will most likely be ruined.
- A scarf - This nifty accessory is a must-have for any festival. It is versatile as a statement piece and will offer cold protection when the party's over.
What should I bring to an outdoor music festival?
Music festivals need a lot of planning and preparation to pull off. It’s a lot like camping: what you bring along is what you will have to rely on. This checklist will help you to carry all the essentials needed to make it a success.
Sunscreen - For an outdoor event, lots of sunscreen is an absolute must-have. Even when the sun doesn’t feel hot, it’s dangerous UV rays will easily burn exposed skin. Remember, you won’t have much shade at the fest.
- Carry the right bag - All the essentials you bring along will need someplace to keep. At the very least, you will need to store your cash, keys, phone, and other valuables safely. Leave the fancy designer handbag at home though - a fanny pack, cross-body bag, or backpack is the best choice.
- `Hygiene supplies - Pack lots of wet wipes, female hygiene essentials, dry shampoo, and some cologne/perfume/body spray.
- Non-perishable food, drinks, and bottled water - Even though you can usually find something to eat, don’t forget to carry some snack bars, water, nuts, or dried fruit. It will save you some cash, and you won’t have to litter the planet with lots of plastics.
- Friends - Safety is your number one concern. Don’t attend a fest alone. Have a friend or two, stay close to each other, and have a predefined rendezvous in case your phones die or get lost.
- Weather supplies - It might rain, or it might not. Either way, make sure to pack an umbrella, rain boots, or waterproof raincoat. If you will be camping outdoors, a tent and sleeping bag are a must for multi-day events.
Now, you’re half-ready to attend that fest. You have the knowledge, it’s time to act on it. Be bold and beautiful. For festival jewellery in Australia, Poco Loco online store has a wide range of accessory pieces such as bracelets, rings, necklaces, earrings, and anklets.
We ship our products Australia wide, so feel free to order today or visit us at local markets in Bondi. Remember to dress right, stay safe, and best of all, have mad fun at the fests!